Thursday, September 18, 2008

Evaluation Processes for Reference Material

Reading Jenny’s discussion about Rieldling’s approach to evaluation process for reference materials has given me some food for thought.

 Jenny writes:

For example, one of Riedling’s criteria is to consider if the resource material is similar to other ones the library already has. I believe that this rule may need to be “bent” a bit in order to accommodate for special cases in the school (ESL, special needs, etc.). The language used in some resources may be too difficult or complex for some students and they will need modified works so they can be independent learners and researchers too. Additionally, it is possible that the library will need to have many similar books that can be read by low and moderate readers such as with entry level ESL students vs. level 2 ESL students.”

 I find a lot of truth in Jenny’s discussion of Reilding’s criteria for the evaluation process of reference materials.  In my library, I am often bending criteria, shaping it to fit my unique school make-up.  My school in Surrey is made up of about 530 students of which about 90% are ESL.  Many reference materials that are excellent, well written, well organized works are simply too challenging for most of my students to read.  For example, most of the students in grades 4 and 5 read at about a grade 3 level, (World Book is too challenging for them to read).  A few years ago, however, the Surrey School District provided an opportunity for TL’s to update their reference sections for free and most libraries that I have worked in, including the one I presently work in, have a set of World Book Kids encyclopedias that have large font, more pictures and easier vocabulary.  These encyclopedias would definitely pass Reidling’s criterea. They are written at about a grade 3 level and are an excellent reference resource for any school, especially a high ESL school.  

No comments: